This post is all about capsule wardrobe and what to include.
Do you feel overwhelmed when deciding what to wear in the mornings? Chances are you may be lacking some key capsule wardrobe pieces. A capsule wardrobe is not only going to simplify your outfit selection but also allow you to come up with tons of fresh OOTD choices.
As I get older, I look to neutral basics when getting dressed. Not only are they classic style choices, but they allow me to come up with so many outfits.
WHAT IS A CAPSULE WARDROBE?
A capsule wardrobe is a collection of clothing items that you can wear interchangeably to create multiple outfit choices.
The idea behind capsule wardrobe dressing is to have multiple high-quality items that can be worn on multiple occasions, therefore, minimizing the items in your closet and the time it takes to choose an outfit.
Some believe capsule wardrobes are boring for their lack of trendy pieces. While capsule wardrobes do include mostly classic pieces, you can easily throw in a trend here and there for fun. The most important aspect when you want to create a capsule wardrobe is that you feel confident in the items you wear.
- Clothes all work together to create different outfits.
- More quality pieces mean they will last longer saving you money.
- Less clothing options mean it will be easier to create an outfit to wear.
- Let’s you be more organized having to keep up with fewer items.
- More sustainable options because you won’t be buying so many clothes.
- It can get boring and repetitive.
- Fewer clothes in your closet mean you’ll have to do laundry more frequently.
- Spend more money upfront to buy quality items instead of being more affordable. If you buy affordable pieces they may not hold their shape as long.
If you’re looking to revamp your closet, and perhaps give capsule wardrobe pieces a try, start with the basics.
LOOKING FOR MORE CAPSULE WARDROBE IDEAS?
HOW TO BUILD A CAPSULE WARDROBE
While my outfits are not entirely made up of capsule wardrobe pieces, I do believe that every woman should own items that can be deemed ‘capsule wardrobe-approved.’ Ready to start a capsule wardrobe?
First, start by taking inventory of your closet. Are there items that you no longer wear? If you haven’t touched it in 6 months (in the current season), it’s time to sell, donate or dump it (if it’s damaged.)
Decluttering your closet will give you a better look at what items you already have and what items you’re missing. No need to start from scratch, chances are you already own some key pieces.
RELATED POST: Best Faux Leather Pieces to Add to Your Wardrobe
Next, consider your lifestyle. Are you working from home? Do you have a strict business dress code at the office? Also, keep in mind that with different seasons come different wardrobe needs. For instance, a spring capsule will differ a bit from a fall capsule.
This will help you determine which pieces you will be grabbing the most and give you a direction to focus on. If I was working from home, I wouldn’t necessarily aim to purchase black pumps.
Then, choose a color scheme. A capsule wardrobe usually consists of more neutral colors as they tend to pair well with each other – think white, black, grey, cream and navy. But that doesn’t mean you can’t incorporate some blush pink in there as well.
Finally, download this Guide to Creating a Wardrobe You’ll Love. It dives deeper into creating a wardrobe that will complement your life and personal style.
PIECES TO CREATE A BASIC CAPSULE WARDROBE
TOP 10 ITEMS TO INCLUDE IN YOUR WARDROBE
I’ve narrowed it down to the absolute must-have items to include in your wardrobe. These items, I believe, will go the distance. You’ll be able to incorporate them into so many outfits so they’re definitely some items at the top of my list.
- White/Black tee – Dress them up or down. A black tee will also come in handy during the cooler months when you need to layer. Keep it neutral and basic. I prefer a crew neckline instead of a V-neck but you can choose your preference. I feel that crew necks add a bit of sophistication and V-necks can come off a bit more casual.
- Denim Jacket – This is a bit more of a casual item to include but it’s one that you’ll get so much wear from. I suggest a medium wash for versatility.
- Dark-wash Denim – A good pair of straight leg dark-wash denim without any distressing. You want to be able to dress down your jeans while keeping them office-approved.
- Blazer (black, beige, or plaid) – A structured blazer can help elevate any outfit. When looking at styles, try to stay away from trendy blazers if you’re looking for a more classic piece. There are a ton of blazer styles — cropped, boyfriend style, gold buttons — consider these extras.
- Nude Heels– These will go with just about anything. Try to get the shade as close to your natural skin tone. The idea behind a nude heel is that it appears to be an extension of your leg. Not only will it create the illusion of longer legs, but will pair well with a ton of outfits.
- Black/Navy Trousers– A good pair of black or navy tailored trousers can be the difference between a casual look and an elevated casual look. Pair them with #8 (white sneakers) and a white tee for a smart casual outfit.
- Camisole/ Tank Tops- Look for a silky white, black, or taupe camisole to pair with trousers or jeans. Camisoles are great for layering and will also keep you cool during the warmer months.
- White Sneakers– A pair of low-top sneakers are a great way to dress down an outfit. Pair with navy pants and a white tee for a fresh take on the whole ‘jeans and a tee’ look.
- Long-Sleeved Button Down Blouse – I love a crisp white button-down. So classic and truly can elevate your basic blue jeans. While you’re at it, pick up a light blue pair as well.
- Shift Dress – This dress has endless styling capabilities. Not only is it an office staple, but it can also easily go from work to drinks.
This post was all about capsule wardrobe essentials and what to include in your collection.