Do you feel overwhelmed when deciding what to wear in the mornings? Chances are you may be lacking some key capsule wardrobe pieces.
A capsule wardrobe is not only going to simplify your outfit selection but also allow you to come up with tons of fresh outfit ideas.
I look towards neutral basics when getting dressed. Not only are they classic style choices, but they allow me to come up with so many more outfits.
WHAT IS A CAPSULE WARDROBE?
A capsule wardrobe is a collection of clothing items that you can wear interchangeably to create multiple outfit choices.
The idea behind capsule wardrobe dressing is to have multiple high-quality items that can be worn on multiple occasions, therefore, minimizing the items in your closet and the time it takes to choose an outfit.
Some believe capsule wardrobes are boring for their lack of trendy pieces. While capsule wardrobes do include mostly classic clothing staples, you can easily throw in a trend here and there.
Think of a capsule wardrobe as a base to build on when creating your dream wardrobe.
The most crucial aspect when you want to create a capsule wardrobe is that you feel confident in the items you wear.
- Clothes all work together to create different outfits.
- More quality pieces mean they will last longer saving you money.
- Less clothing options mean it will be easier to create an outfit to wear.
- Let’s you be more organized by having to keep up with fewer items.
- More sustainable options because you won’t be buying so many clothes.
- It can get boring and repetitive.
- Fewer clothes in your closet mean you’ll have to do laundry more frequently.
- Spend more money upfront to buy quality items instead of being more affordable. If you buy affordable pieces they may not hold their shape as long.
If you’re looking to revamp your closet, and perhaps give capsule wardrobe pieces a try, start with the basics.
How Do You Create a Capsule Wardrobe?
While my outfits are not entirely made up of capsule wardrobe pieces, I do believe that every woman should own items that can be deemed ‘capsule wardrobe-approved.’
Ready to start building your capsule wardrobe? Let’s begin here:
1. Take Inventory of Your Closet. Are there items that you no longer wear? If you haven’t touched it in 6 months (in the current season), it’s time to sell, donate or dump it (if it’s damaged.)
Decluttering your closet will give you a better look at what items you already have and what items you’re missing. No need to start from scratch, chances are you already own some key pieces.
2. Consider Your Lifestyle. Are you working from home? Do you have a strict business dress code at the office? Also, keep in mind that with different seasons come different wardrobe needs. For instance, a spring capsule will differ a bit from a fall capsule.
This will help you determine which pieces you will be grabbing the most and give you a direction to focus on. If I was working from home, I wouldn’t necessarily aim to purchase black pumps.
Ready to Start Building Your Capsule Wardrobe?
Download the free guide here and start building the wardrobe of your dreams.
3. Choose a Color Scheme. A capsule wardrobe usually consists of more neutral colors as they tend to pair well with each other – think white, black, grey, cream, and navy.
But that doesn’t mean you can’t incorporate some blush pink in there as well. Do you like Pastels? Add in a few colors that make you happy.
Finally, download this Guide to Creating a Wardrobe You’ll Love. It dives deeper into creating a wardrobe that will complement your life and personal style.
BASIC WARDROBE ESSENTIALS
What Items Do I Need For a Capsule Wardrobe?
I’ve narrowed it down to the absolute must-have items to include in your wardrobe. These items, I believe, will help you create a ton of outfits, including workwear.
You’ll be able to incorporate them into so many outfits so they’re definitely some items at the top of my list.
- White/Black tee – Dress them up or down. A black tee will also come in handy during the cooler months when you need to layer. Keep it neutral and basic. I prefer a crew neckline instead of a V-neck but you can choose your preference. I feel that crew necks add a bit of sophistication and V-necks can come off a bit more casual.
- Denim Jacket – This is a bit more of a casual item to include but it’s one that you’ll get so much wear from. I suggest a medium wash for versatility.
- Dark-wash Denim – A good pair of straight leg dark-wash denim without any distressing. You want to be able to dress down your jeans while keeping them office-approved.
MORE CAPSULE WARDROBE ESSENTIALS
LOOKING FOR MORE CAPSULE WARDROBE IDEAS?
- Winter Capsule Wardrobe Essentials (2023)
- Casual Spring Capsule Wardrobe: Key Pieces to Include (2023)
- Casual Spring Capsule Wardrobe: Amazon Edition
This post was all about basic capsule wardrobe essentials and what to include in your collection.