This post is all about how to make your blog look professional. This post contains affiliate links at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Bella Style Living.
Have you ever landed on a blog only to bounce mid-scroll because it was just all too confusing? Too much text, too many graphics, too many pop-ups; they can all have potential customers running for the hills.
For me, aesthetics can be the difference between me x’ing out of a site or going down the rabbit hole of content. When a blog looks pretty and appealing, I just want to stay on a little longer.
I know it can sound very surface level, but think of it this way; would you rather be in a home that is organized and easy to navigate or one that is cluttered and full of stuff where you can’t even make your way to the kitchen?
You may have some amazing ideas and the best advice to give, but first, you have to WOW your reader with your presentation. Presentation is what will hold that reader in a little longer so they can discover all the amazing content you have to offer.
However, the typeface or colors aren’t the only things you should be thinking about if you want to make your blog look professional.
There are also certain elements to your blog that should be included to separate you from the amateurs. So if you want to do what other successful bloggers do, keep reading.
HOW TO MAKE YOUR BLOG LOOK MORE PROFESSIONAL
If you are just starting out, the thought of making your blog “look professional” may be a little intimidating or even make you think you have to spend a ton of money.
That is just not the case. One advantage you have as a beginner blogger is that you may be starting with a clean slate, a clean canvas to build your masterpiece.
HOW TO MAKE YOUR BLOG LOOK PROFESSIONAL
Here are a few ways to make a blog look professional and more attractive to readers:
- Choose a clean and visually appealing blog theme: Select a professional-looking blog theme or template that aligns with your brand and provides a clean and organized layout. Avoid clutter and make sure the design is easy to navigate. I’ve gone through my fair share of blog themes but when I decided to research and look for a theme that would cater to my aesthetics,
I landed on EmPress Themes — I use the Barton Theme. The customizable themes were great for me because I get bored with the same layout. EmPress themes let you buy one theme and customize it to different layouts.
There are also a number of plugins (that are very pretty) that you can add for an added touch of individualization.
- Cohesive, High-Quality Images: Invest in high-resolution images and use professional photography techniques. Maintain consistency in your visual style by using similar filters, color schemes, and compositions. Avoid blurry or low-quality stock photos. Sometimes I can’t get a photographer to get some blog shots, so I rely on stock images to give my blog a visual appeal. Sure, you can get free stock images online or on Canva, but so will the millions of other bloggers or content creators.
For me, the additional cost of a subscription for stock images means fewer people will be using those images. I use Haute Stock for gorgeous images that cater to my fashion and lifestyle blog. You can save 15% on your subscription with promo code BellaStyleLiving here.
How to Make Your Blog Stand Out
- Typography: Select fonts that are easy to read and complement your blog’s aesthetic. Use a combination of fonts for headings, subheadings, and body text to create a visual hierarchy and make the content more engaging. And please, do NOT use comic sans!!
If you are new to blogging, this is a great time to start looking into a brand book. A brand book is going to outline the fonts you will use for certain sections of your blog. For example:
There are a ton of different applications to get fonts for your blog. You could use the hundreds of free fonts that WordPress has available.
You could also purchase fonts that are more elaborate or unique. I love using Creative Market to purchase fonts similar to these.
How to Make a Blog Look Attractive
- Clear navigation: Make sure that your blog’s navigation menu is organized and easy to find. Include categories, tags, or a search bar to help readers find specific topics or posts.
- Consistent branding: Create a cohesive brand identity by using a consistent color scheme, logo, and visual elements throughout your blog. This is where that branding will come in handy. Once you have established what will be used, be sure to also use the branding on social media platforms. This will make your brand more recognizable.
- Well-written content: Focus on creating high-quality, well-researched, and engaging content. Use proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation. Pay attention to formatting and use headings, subheadings, bullet points, and numbered lists to improve readability.
How to Make a Blog Look Professional
- Social media integration: Incorporate social media buttons or widgets into your blog design. This makes it easy for visitors to share your content on various platforms. This will also help to increase your blog’s reach and engagement. If you don’t have social media for your blog, start one today. Unless you are blogging anonymously, you could link your blog to your personal socials.
- About page: Create an informative and professional “About” page that introduces yourself, your blog’s purpose, and your expertise. Include a professional photo and a brief biography to establish credibility. People will want to get to know the person behind the blog. Be sure to include this page and make it easy to find on your navigation page.
- Contact information: Make it easy for readers, brands, or potential collaborators to contact you. Include a dedicated contact page with your email address or a contact form. Ensure that your contact information is easily visible and accessible.
- Mobile optimization: With the increasing use of smartphones and tablets, it’s crucial to optimize your blog for mobile devices. Choose a responsive blog theme. There are some premium WordPress themes that you can start off with. One that adapts well to different screen sizes, and ensures that your content is easy to read and navigate on mobile devices.
Blogging Tips for Beginners
- Regular updates: Consistently publish new content to keep your blog active and engaging. This shows professionalism and dedication to your audience.
You will want to stick to a blogging schedule to hold yourself accountable for which days you will be hitting ‘publish.’ This is also great for the Google algorithm and will help your blog rank higher than inactive or inconsistent blogs.
- Engage with your audience: Respond to comments and engage with your readers. This builds a sense of community and trust, making your blog feel more professional and reliable. Don’t leave your guest hanging without a response.
Remember, professionalism is not just about appearance but also about the quality of your content, your interaction with readers, and the value you provide.
Continuously strive to improve and offer unique insights or perspectives to establish yourself as a professional blogger. The look of your site will help you grow your traffic and help you make more money.
Looking for more blogging tips and truths? Sign up for the Blogging Breakdown newsletter to stay on top of it all.
This post was all about how to make your blog look more professional.