This post is all about how to use a planner and stay organized in 2023. This post contains affiliate links.Click here for full disclosure.
One of my favorite things to do as a year winds down is to pick out my daily planner for the new year. I love looking through different designs and planners, but there are so many options to choose from.
I recently pulled out my old planners to get a sense of what I liked and what features were mostly used. One of the first things I noticed was the planner brands were the same! Ever since I started my blogging journey, I consistently chose Day Designer planners.
This post is all about how to use a planner
WHY A PLANNER IS IMPORTANT FOR LIFE AND BUSINESS
Whether you prefer a paper planner or a digital planner, they can be a pivotal tool for your home or work life.
Since starting my blog in 2018, I've used a paper planner to write down everything from my content schedule to the kids' dentist appointments.
While I do use a digital planner (Google calendar) something about writing it down just makes it easier to remember -- the millennial in me ?.
Use Code MARIAM for 10% off Your Day Designer Planner
7 Benefits of Using a Planner...
HOW TO PREPARE A PLANNER
A brand new planner is a great opportunity to get off on the right foot. Many times, I find myself a little scatter brained by December. A new planner helps me plan for the future and outline how I want my new year to go.
I use my planner for both my business and my home life. One thing that I started this year is color coding my planner. I did this for my Google calendar and it's been extremely helpful.
1. Put Your Name On It - The very first thing you need to do is put your name and contact information in your planner. For some, their whole life is written inside so it's crucial to get it back ASAP.
2. Write Down All the Birthdays, Anniversaries and School Days - I am notorious for forgetting birthdays (cringe), so this year, I am writing everybody's birthdays so I can stay on top of it. I also look at the kid's school calendar and write in important dates like school breaks and/or picture days.
3. Jot Down Wellness Checks and Doctor Appointments - Self care is so 2023 so be sure you are scheduling yours and your family's wellness checks to stay healthy this year. Prioritize your wellness by scheduling out spa days, dental appointments, vacation days, etc...
4. Plan Monthly or Quarterly Check Ins - Whether you are tracking a financial list or business growth, make goals for the year. Then, set either monthly or quarterly reminders to track your progress. Revisiting and analyzing your annual goals will help you stay on track.
5. Take Advantage of Extra Features - Some planners have extra features to help you with planning. 'Dates to Remember' or 'Self-Assesment' sections help you see important information at a glance. I also like Day Designers 'Gratitude' section. It allows me to write down what I'm grateful for and allows for self reflection.
HOW TO USE YOUR PLANNER EFFECTIVELY
1. Be Consistent - I have many planners with months of blank pages. It takes some getting used to but using your planner consistently will help you stay organized.
2. Weekly Planning Sessions - Find a day that you feel most motivated. For me its Sunday evenings. Sundays are when I plan out my week so I can get the most out of my time.
3. Write Down Your Top 3 Daily Priorities - Writing down your top 3 non-negotiables for the day will help you stay focused on what's important. You will also get a sense of accomplishment when you complete your list and will motivate you for the next day.
4. Use Color-Coding to Categorize Your Planner - Designating colors to different planner lists will allow you to see at a glance the different parts of your day. You could use one color for work, one for the kid's stuff and one for home stuff. I prefer to highlight each items on my planner with different colors or you could use colored pens.
5. Don't Forget to Schedule Your Life - Many people schedule out their work deadlines or doctor appointments, but how many are scheduling out their date nights and self-care days? They are just as important. Be sure to set some time out to reconnect with loved ones or take a day to yourself to recenter and recuperate.
I truly believe that we are most productive when we schedule and write down our plans and goals. That is why I love to use a planner to get my life in order. Planning takes the stress out of having to keep everything in your life top of mind and lets you organize your day more thoughtfully and efficiently.
This post was all about how to use a planner to get organized in 2023.
Thank you Day Designer for sponsoring this post.