This post is all about how to style straight leg jeans. This post contains affiliate links at no extra cost to you.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT STRAIGHT LEG JEANS
You would think the name would be sufficient, but there have been so many variations of straight-leg jeans, that I thought we would break down the characteristics of a true straight leg jean.
Straight leg jeans are a style of jeans that have a consistent width from the thigh down to the ankle. Unlike skinny jeans, which taper and become narrower as they reach the ankle, and unlike wide-leg or flared jeans, which widen as they go down, straight leg jeans maintain a straight line from the hip or thigh to the hem.
They are often considered a classic and timeless denim style due to their simple, straight, and regular fit.
Here are some key characteristics of straight leg jeans:
- Uniform Width: The leg of the jeans has the same width from the hip or thigh to the ankle, creating a straight line down the leg.
- Versatile Fit: Straight leg jeans are known for their versatility and can work well for a variety of body shapes. They’re not too tight or too loose, making them a comfortable and easy-to-wear option.
- Casual and Classic: Straight leg jeans are often associated with a more casual and classic look. They are a timeless denim style that can be dressed up or down.
- Available in Different Rises: You can find straight leg jeans in various rises, including high-rise, mid-rise, and low-rise, to suit your personal style and comfort preferences.
- Wide Range of Washes and Finishes: Like other jeans styles, straight leg jeans come in various washes (from light to dark) and can be found in distressed, faded, or classic washes.
Straight leg jeans are a great wardrobe staple that can be worn in a variety of settings and can be dressed up or down depending on the occasion.
They work well with various types of footwear, from sneakers to heels, and are a versatile addition to any wardrobe.
HOW TO WEAR STRAIGHT LEG JEANS
The biggest styling tip when wearing straight-leg jeans is minding your proportions. Because the silhouette lacks shape on the bottom half, you’ll want to be mindful of your top.
Accentuate the waist by tucking in your shirts and/or wearing a belt. Tucking in your tops will also create better proportions by elongating your legs – think the rule of thirds.
To create a longer leg, opt of high-rise jeans. These should fit at or right above your belly button.
Look for a slightly cropped pair if you want to highlight footwear. Opt for ankle boots with a taller shaft; right above the ankle. You want the jeans to cover the top of the boot without covering the entire boot shaft.
Avoid wearing knee-high boots or over-the-knee boots. Stuffing them inside the boot may make it look too bulky — save these for leggings or skinny jeans.
More ideas for styling straight leg jeans:
- Button-down blouse + Pointy-toed pumps
- Stripped tee + Chelsea Boots
- Cami + Blazer + Sandals
- Cardigan + Heels
- Graphic tee + High Top Sneakers
STRAIGHT LEG JEANS OUTFITS
Styling your jeans should be fun and bring out your style.
While many Gen-Z’ers prefer a baggier style, Millennials have come to embrace a more polished, classic style.
Here are some straight-leg jeans outfits for inspiration:
HOW TO STYLE STRAIGHT LEG JEANS FOR SPRING AND SUMMER
Look for ankle-length straight leg jeans when styling for the warmer months. These pair well with sandals, heels, and wedges.
It also exposes the smaller part of your leg, the foot, which helps alleviate the bulkiness that some may experience when pairing straight-leg jeans with a closed-toe shoe or sneakers.
Another great straight leg jeans outfit idea is pairing them with a cropped tee of bodysuit. Take advantage of the warmer weather to highlight your top half to balance out the lack of shape on the bottom half.
Here are ways to balance out your straight leg jeans outfit and not look frumpy:
- Wear a cropped tee or one that skims the top of your jeans
- Wear a bodysuit
- Half-tuck your top
- Fully tuck in your top and add a belt to accentuate your waist
HOW TO STYLE STRAIGHT LEG JEANS FOR FALL
When styling straight leg jeans for fall, you want to make sure the hem hits the smallest part of your leg — ideally at your ankle bone or right above.
This is great for highlighting footwear, especially closed-toed shoes that may otherwise make the outfit look kind of frumpy.
Pair your high-rise straight jeans with a cute top that you can tuck in and a cardigan. Another option that is popular during the fall is pairing a chunky sweater with straight leg jeans.
However, a chunky knit may lack shape. To balance out the volume you have going on in the top and bottom, be sure to do a little half-tuck to accentuate your waist.
This is also a great way to incorporate the rule of thirds and make your legs appear longer.
WHERE TO BUY STRAIGHT LEG JEANS
BEST BRANDS TO SHOP STRAIGHT JEANS:
- Madewell (tall and petite sizes)
- Abercrombie (extra short to extra long options)
MOST-LOVE STRAIGHT JEANS:
- Madewell The Perfect Vintage Straight Jeans
- Levi’s Wedgie Straight Jeans
- Abercrombie Ultra High Rise 90s Straight Jean
- Topshop Dad Nonstretch High Waist Straight Leg Jeans (super casual favorite)
I hope this helped when it comes to styling your straight leg jeans. This is only a guide and not a rule book. You know your body best and your style preference so wear what you want how you want it.
I do hope that it brought you some outfit inspiration to style your straight leg jeans going forward.
LOOKING FOR MORE JEANS TALK? HERE ARE SOME POST YOU WILL LIKE
- Madewell Jeans Review
- Best-Selling Levi’s Jeans Review
- Levi’s Wedgie Icon Fit Jeans Review for Women
This post was all about how to style straight leg jeans and where to find the best fits.