The temperatures are dropping but that doesn’t mean you can drop your guard against environmental skin stressors. Cold air is dry and can wreak havoc on your skin. That’s why it’s important to winter-proof your skin this season. I’m sharing 11 ways for you to keep your skin hydrated and happy through next year with these winter skincare tips.
For those of us in the south, colder weather is an added relief from the hot and humid summer days. But humidity is actually great for the skin!
I mean, people actually buy humidifiers to place in their homes for the added moisture. Just one foot outdoors in July and you can achieve the same effect here in Texas.
RELATED POST: ELEMIS Skincare Review
The skin serves a super important function and you know how much I love my skincare. So it’s only fitting, I share ways for you to keep that glow.
I recommend adjusting your winter skincare in order to prepare your skin for the dry and cold weather. Skin will need some extra TLC in the coming months so here’s how to winter-proof your skin.
My Winter Skincare Essentials
How to Keep Skin Healthy In the Winter
- Avoid Hot Showers – I know there’s nothing like a steamy shower on a cold day to really relax you. But hot water instantly dehydrates your skin leading to added dryness. Keep the water temparature lukewarm to avoid aggrevating your skin.
- Layer on the Moisturizer – I like to layer on the moisturizer day and night. I apply a lighter formula during the day to wear under my makeup. At night, I like to add a thick cream to lock in the moisture overnight. You can also add a facial oil to really lock in the moisture.
- Use a Humidifyer– If you live in dryer weather, placing a humidifyer in your home is a great way to add moisture to the air. Added points if you use a hyalaronic acid on your face as this chemical pulls moisture from the air.
- Exfoliate – A gentle exfoliator will slough off dead skin cells to reveal new and fresh skin. I prefer to use a chemical exfoliater on my face (gentler on the delicate skin) and a physical exfoliatro on my body. Then, afterwards, layer on a thick cream or body oil. I would recommend to exfoliate no more than 3 times a week.
- Don’t Forget the SPF – Winter months are usually accompanied with cloudy days. That doesn’t mean you should skip the sunscreen. Continue to wear your sunscreen daily to avoid sun damage.
Winter-Proof Skin Essentials
- Cover Your Face From Wind – Cold wind can dry out your face fast! Be sure to cover your skin that’s exposed to the elements. This will help you avoid wind rash or aggravated ezcema. Cold air will also make your blood vessels dialate causing a red nose and cheeks. So be sure protect your face and also pack on the moisture to lessen redness. Using serums and moisturizers that contain ceramides will help. Here’s one from a brand favorite.
- Lower the Thermostat – I keep my thermostat at around 75 degrees. Turning the temps indoors too high may keep you comfortable and cozy, but can quickly dry out your skin.
- Use a Facial Spray – Facial sprays without alcohol like this one, can re-hydrate your skin throughout the day. Made with 100% grape water, this facial mist instantly hydrates and calms aggravated skin.
- Avoid Harsh Soaps – Some soaps contain alcohol and fragrances that can aggravate stressed skin. Instead, use gentle shower gels and cream cleansers. Soaps with added oils like this one are great for the body. For the face, this one is great.
- Wash Your Clothes – Well this is a given, but rather wash your clothes with detergents that don’t contain dyes or fragrances. Again, two culprits that can irritate your skin. Here’s one we’ve used.
- Water, Water, Water – If you want to keep your skin hydrated on the outside, be sure you’re hydrated on the inside.
I hope these winter skincare tips help you enjoy this winter season comfortably. Nothing like itchy, red skin to put a damper on your holidays.